Saturday, June 9, 2012



Seitan

So, I've cut out animal products for a few weeks now (not long). I've been hearing around the internet about something called seitan (pronounced like "satan," or so I've read). It's the gluten from wheat flour. It's supposed to have a meaty texture and be healthy (provided you have no gluten-related health problems).

I researched how it's made, since it's ridiculously expensive in stores and online. Generally it's done using vital wheat gluten, which is in flour form. That's also very expensive. The cheapest place to find it is online, but then when you tack on the shipping costs, it's about as much as in the store unless you buy in huge quantities.

Where I live, there's no one who sells big bulk items like vital wheat gluten. Ha, no way. And the vital wheat gluten is too expensive for me to buy regularly (I got a little to try, but I'm afraid I'll love it and not be able to afford it anymore - it's the lot in life for a poor grad student). 

Then I looked up how to make it myself. You can do it with wheat flour, aparently, though it seems to be way more work that way. But I cannot find how much seitan, say, a 5 lb bag of wheat flour would produce. If it's like 2 servings, it's so not worth it. If it's more like 10, then it might be worth it. 

So I may be picking up some wheat flour to try that. I need to find someone to talk to about this stuff. No one I know is vegan. I know one vegetarian. Who the heck can I ask about seitan?

No comments:

Post a Comment